Monday, January 25, 2016

When You Have Nothing to Say

I am pretty bad at social media, and I freely own up to this. The bulk of my tweets and Facebook posts are links back to this blog, and I go days at a time without even looking at either thread, much less updating them. Blogging here has been something I've been trying to do more often, if for no other reason than because it gives me more opportunities to write. But about what?

My biggest issue with social media specifically, and writing in general, is that I don't feel like I have anything to say. Maybe it's the generation I grew up in - the idea of posting pictures of my food for every meal seems pointless to me. Telling everyone every thing that goes through my head seems like the quick path to having no friends. In general, I have a hard time believing that anyone actually cares about any of that, even when I know that posts are narrowed down to just my friends and family.

I'm much more likely to post about my cats' health than my own, because let's face it, cats rule the internet. It's also much easier to say that the two older ones have hyperthyroidism, but we have medication and they're being treated, than it is to say that I hurt. Maybe it's just because I hurt all the time, so it doesn't seem like it's news to me.

There's a fine line between whining and reaching out for help, and I'm afraid I've never known where that line is. I always assume I'm on the side of the whining, so I don't say anything. It's not healthy, I know, but it's hard to convince myself that people, who have their own lives and problems, would want to spend the time and energy to care about my life and problems.

At any rate, I enjoy watching how other people use social media, and I love reading what's going on in everyone elses' lives. I'm trying to be better about reaching out when I need to, but it's an uphill battle. So if you are reading this post, thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment