Thursday, June 18, 2020

This little light of mine

I've spent the last few months away from social media, in large part because I just didn't know what to say. So much has happened in such a short amount of time, and it felt like everyone who could was saying something loudly and at length. I didn't think that anything I could say would add anything to the numerous dialogues that were happening, so I read and watched, and kept to myself (or a small circle of friends).

Then today, I logged into my Tumblr for the first time in weeks, and I notice that I have quite a few notifications. This is not a normal thing for me, so I take a look at what's bringing people to my blog. Turns out, there are a couple of posts about hope and not letting the world take your light away that are still resonating with folks.

I don't pretend to have a huge audience - I'm one of literally millions (if not billions) of people on the internet who type their thoughts out and send them into the abyss of cyberspace. But I guess what I have tossed out there has been useful, on occasion, to someone who needed it. It would be incredibly arrogant to say that I have to keep writing, because "my people need me" *dramatic pose*, but it does seem a little hypocritical if I talk a big game about hope and optimism and then give up myself.

So, here I am, tentatively waving from my corner of the web, with a cup of tea in one hand and an empty seat at the table. It's been a rough few months, and we've lost a lot of people that never should have been lost. But right now, we are here, and we have the chance to make tomorrow better than today. What do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment