Monday, June 16, 2014

Questions for a new world

So, I'm going through my notes on a plot bunny that's been sitting and waiting patiently for a year or two, because I want to give it a bit of a shot for the next Camp NaNoWriMo.  I had developed a timeline, which was helpful, but just reading it over made me realize that there were a lot of unanswered questions I would need to work with.  I started writing some of those questions down, and realized that it might not hurt to have a generalized questionnaire for world- and plot-building.  And so, I share with you.  Feel free to let me know of any other questions you think could be helpful!

1.  What does the average person in your setting do for a living?
2.  How does the average person in your setting live day to day?
3.  How does the average person become educated?
3a.  What obstructions are there to education in your setting?
4.  What kind of person is your main character when we first meet him/her?
5.  What kind of person is your main character by the time the book is over?
5a.  Does the main character die?  How and why?
6.  Who is the most important person in your main character's life?
7.  Who would your main character say is the least important person in his/her life?
8.  What's the first thing your main character can remember?

I'm sure there are more, and I have a feeling I'll be coming back to this topic in the future, but tell me what you think.  Do you try to get some answers before you write, or do you just dive in and let the answers come about naturally?

No comments:

Post a Comment