Monday, June 30, 2014

Camp NaNoWriMo Round Two

It's coming up on July, which means the year's second Camp NaNoWriMo will be coming up.  I'm going to give it another shot, but this time I'm going to do something a little bit different.  Instead of working on the plot of something I already have started, I'm going to spend some time world-building for the Epic Epic of Epicness.

To explain a little further, I've had this vague idea for a world in which several territories are tied together under the aegis of a magical rope.  I have a good idea of what story I ultimately want to tell in this world, but I need to build the world first so I know what I have to play with.  So, my idea is to spend next month writing what are essentially entries in a history book of the world.  In the end, I'm basically going to be writing a lot of words that will probably not see the light of day, but they're going to make telling a story a heck of a lot easier for me.

This is the first time I've ever done any kind of work beyond outlining when writing something, and I'm curious to see how it will change my overall writing process.  What about you?  Do you make yourself a world bible, or do you discover what your setting is like as you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment