Monday, March 14, 2016

Character Interview - Alison Parker

I've been working on (slowly) finishing my draft zero of the Paranormal Investigations trilogy, or at least the first full book. I know what needs to happen, but I'm truthfully not hugely excited about it. I figured that now would be a good time to talk to my main character, and get into her head a little bit. Lucky you, you get to read my extremely rough writing! You can thank me later.

Enter ALISON - mid-twenties, blonde, short, stocky, dressed in jeans and an oversized sweatshirt with beat-up tennis shoes and carrying a large messenger bag. She sits on a stool, gripping her bag to her chest as though afraid to let it out of her sight, and smiles tightly.

INTERVIEWER: You OK there?
ALISON: I'm fine. This is just a little bit weird. There's nothing here, you know? No walls or ceiling or...anything. It's just open space, and this stool on a little bit of floor, and I can't see who's talking, so it's kind of freaking me out a little bit, you know?
I: Well, yeah, but the focus is you. You know, the plan is to talk to you, get to know you a little better. So, what did you study in college?
A: Weird, but whatever. I studied literature and dance, though I focused on the literature side of things. I liked dance, but I wasn't all that good at it.
I: These things happen. What do you plan on doing, now that you're graduated?
A: (glares) Rude. You expect me to know how my life is going to turn out, just because I've graduated from college? How the hell should I know? At this point, I'm just happy working someplace that gets me enough money to make payments on my student loans and keep my car running, and able to take care of Gramps. I'll figure things out later.
I: Is that why you're living with your grandfather? To save money?
A: That's part of it. I also just want to make sure he's taken care of, you know? I don't like the idea of him being alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment