Thursday, October 11, 2018

This Illumination Has Everything

Work with schools, environmental benefits, saving restaurants money...

Stefon approves!

Today's Illumination comes to us from New York's Billion Oyster Project. The organization has set up a program in which restaurants collect the shells from their oyster dishes; those shells are then cured, cleaned, and brought to a high school with a training program in marine sciences; and the students use the shells to essentially seed new oysters. Once the oysters are big enough, they get moved to a structure that helps them form a reef in New York Harbor.

Oysters, evidently, are pretty magnificent creatures. (Calling the world your oyster makes a little more sense to me now.) They filter the water, promote biodiversity by providing food and shelter to other marine life, and protect a shore against a hurricane's waves. Admittedly, none of these things make me more likely to want to eat them, but I can at least appreciate them more.

On a personal note, since it is Coming Out Day...hi. I'm queer. To be specific/pedantic, I'm bi-romatic demisexual. Essentially, I can have heart-feelings for anyone, regardless of gender, but it takes someone really, really special to get the pants-feelings going. Thankfully, I found my someone special nearly 14 years ago, and reader, I married him (come on, how could I resist a good Austen reference?). So, yeah. That's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment