Friday, May 8, 2015

Writing Excuses Master Class - Story Structure Q&A

It's time to try writing some fiction again, I believe.  I came across this call for submissions for an anthology in honor of Sir Terry Pratchett, and I think I want to put together a submission.  My only concern at this point is that it's meant to be humorous, and being funny on the page has always been a struggle for me.  Hopefully, the master class writing prompts will help me get back into the swing of things.  The writing prompt:

Make a list of all the awesome things you want your story to accomplish. Then put them in the order in which you want them to happen.

Since the theme of the anthology is memory, I want to use something I wrote a while back for Nanowrimo as a starting point.  (That link doesn't include the whole draft of the story - I should probably get on that.)  Of course, that story ended up turning into a horror tale, and I'd like to avoid that.  Still, there are some things I can play with:

Patient gets into her own mind consciously
Patient interacts with her own memories
Therapist finds way into patient's mind
Hide and seek with memonsters (memory monsters, the things that make up memories in one's mind)

...clearly, I still have some work to do on this.  At least it's a start?

No comments:

Post a Comment