Friday, June 23, 2017

Dragon-slayer

He thinks I slay dragons.
Me? I don't know.
The beasts I thought dead keep coming back
(Maybe they were hydra instead?).

I can only wound, not kill,
They bruise but don't bleed.
My blade drives them away for moment,
To wait and attack another day.

One beast, maybe two at a time,
I can fence and parry away.
But waves after waves, all coming at once
With more teeth that snap and claws that snatch
Dodging, biting, scratching, attacking,
All I can do is dance and pray
(Let my sword stay true, let my shield stay firm,
Don't let them in, please, don't let them win)
And my dance and my prayers aren't enough.

He thinks I slay dragons.
Me? Not today.
Today is for whetstones, and repair, and rest.
Today is for caves and hidden tears and sleep.
Tomorrow? Tomorrow, sword shining bright,
We'll see what these lizards bring to the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment