Thursday, March 12, 2015

Sir Terry

This morning, I was fighting panic (still left over from yesterday, in fact), and so I decided it would be best if I worked from home.  I have never been so grateful for that option before.  My husband called me around 8:30am to let me know that Sir Terry Pratchett had passed.

I had the honor of meeting Sir Terry once, in 2003.  He was perfectly lovely, and signed my two favorite books of his - Small Gods and Hogfather.  He also gave me verbal permission to translate a section of Hogfather into Spanish, to use as a writing sample for a literary translation program I was investigating.

I didn't discover the Discworld books until I was in college, and for that I do feel some regret.  Once I realized the glory of the Discworld books, I devoured as many of them as I could, wishing I had found them earlier.  They gave me a sense of comfort while making me reevaluate tropes I thought I knew.

When my husband and I moved in together, we took the step of combining our libraries.  The only overlap we had were the Discworld novels, which to me, was yet another sign that this was the man for me.

Rest well, Sir Terry.  You've brought joy and laughter to so many, and you deserved better than what Alzheimer's gave you in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment